Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I get stopped by a police officer?

Click here to read what you need to do should you ever be stopped by a Police Officer.

How do I pay or appeal a parking citation?

To resolve any parking related violations, you will need to visit Parking Services located next to the Shenandoah Parking Deck. The Police Department is entirely separate from Parking Services. Please visit the Parking Services website for information.

Where is the police department and what are the hours of operation?

The Police Department is located in the Police Safety Building in front of the Rappahannock River Deck. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. The Police Records Department is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am-12pm and 1pm-4pm.

I was involved in a car accident on/near campus, how do I obtain an accident report?

You may contact Central Records for copies of an accident report. The Police Records Department is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am-12pm and 1:00pm-4pm.

How do I file a complaint or commendation against/for a Police Officer?

Click here to read on how to file a complaint or commendation against a Police Officer or Police Department.

How do I report a crime or ask about crime stats on campus?

If you have a question about a crime or need to report a crime, you may come into the Police Department and ask to speak with a Police Officer or, you may call us at 703-993-2810. You may also report a crime anonymously with GMU’s Crime Solvers Tip Line. Please visit our annual security report page for crime stats.

Does this police department offer fingerprinting services?

Yes, the University Police provides fingerprinting services for George Mason University students, faculty, and staff, and the general public. Persons requesting the service should provide the fingerprint cards and a photo ID, there is a $10 suggested donation for non-GMU students. Please call 703-993-2810

Is there a lost and found?

Yes, the Police Department has a Lost & Found section located at the Nottoway Annex, located in Lot C. The hours of operation are Monday – Thursday 08:30 am – 3:30 pm. You can make inquires by phone at 703-993-2975 or via email at property@gmu.edu.
Other Lost & Found centers on the Fairfax Campus can be found at the Johnson Center Information Desk and Student Union Buildings I and II Information Desks

What do I do if my car does not start?

You can contact Parking Services/Motorist Assistance at 703-993-2715 or 703-993-4357. More information about Motorist Assistance can be found here .

What is a Police Cadet escort and how do I request one?

The George Mason University Police Department provides a 24/7 escort service for anyone who feels unsafe when walking across campus. The escorts are conducted by well trained Police Cadets assigned to foot or bicycle patrol. If you are interested in a safety escort please call (703) 993-2810 and a cadet will be assigned to walk you to your destination.

How do I register for the Van Driver Class?

Click here to find out how to register for the Van Driver Familiarization course.

How do I find out about my court date?

If you were issued a summons and are required to appear in court, you can view your court date information by viewing the Virginia Judicial Systems website.

Where do I obtain the electronic access form?

To obtain electronic access you must complete the Electronic Access Request form, and have it signed by your authorizing agent. Your authorizing agent then must fax it to the Card Access Security office at (703)993-3868 to be processed. Further question please call (703)993-3127.

I am having trouble viewing the website and/or forms?

The GMU Police Website is best viewed with the most recent Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers. The website also contains Word document files and pdf files that can be viewed with the compatible word processing program and the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If you are still having trouble, please contact the webmaster or call (703)993-9654.