Mason Police accepts limited types of lost or abandoned property at Police & Safety Headquarters in compliance with University Policy 1136 and Code of Virginia §23.1-104. Police & Safety Headquarters is located at 4393 University Drive, Fairfax, next to the Rappahannock Parking garage.
Mason Police WILL accept the following items:
- Wallets and Purses
- Passports and Government Issued Identifications
- Laptops and Mobile Devices valued at $500 or greater
- Items of significant/high value (over $500)
- Other high value or sensitive items may be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
Lost and found items, which are accepted by the Police Department, either turned in by a member of the community or found by an officer, are logged in on a daily basis and are stored at the Fairfax Campus Police & Safety Headquarters for 120 days. After 120 days the items and their contents are donated to local charity or destroyed, in accordance with University policy and Virginia law. In order to claim a lost item, you must bring a photo identification card and make an appointment with the Evidence Custodian by calling 703-993-2975.
Other Lost & Found centers on the Fairfax Campus can be found at the Johnson Center Information Desk, Student Union Building & HUB Information Desks, Parking & Transportation Office, Athletic Facilities, Eagle Bank Arena Guest Services, etc.
Mason Police will NOT accept the following items:
- Eyeglasses: These can be donated to Lions Club.
- Clothing: These can be donated to Goodwill or Salvation Army drop-off locations.
- Textbooks, etc.: Textbooks or library books should be returned to the bookstore or Fenwick Library.
- Mason ID Cards: These should be turned over to the Mason Card Office.
- Water Bottles, Lunch Boxes, and Food Containers
- Vehicle Keys, Umbrellas, Skateboards, Scooters, Backpacks, Notebooks, Ear Buds, Charging Devices, Calculators, etc.