Police Cadet Program
The George Mason University Police Cadet Program was established in July 2003 to support the George Mason University Department of Police and Public Safety. The program which is managed by officers of the George Mason University Department of Police and Public Safety, is comprised primarily of student wage employees who are non-sworn personnel without powers of arrest. Members of the program are committed to providing the highest level of safety, security, and service to all members of the George Mason University community, their visitors and guests.
Committed to the prevention and control of crime, protection of life and the safeguarding of property through vigilant patrol; Police Cadets promote the advancement of cooperative relationships within the university environment.
Police Cadets are required to complete an extensive 102 hour in-house training program designed by experienced members of the law enforcement community. The Officer-In-Charge of the Police Cadet Program, along with the Police Department Training Division provide additional training throughout the year to ensure the highest level of professionalism.
Candidates for employment with the George Mason University Police Cadet Program must pass a background investigation, must have a valid drivers license along with a good driving record and a willingness to serve the community.
The George Mason University Police Cadet Program offers a wide range of services designed to meet the needs of the university while providing students with an opportunity to gain valuable insight into law enforcement. For more information on how you can be a part of this growing program or how the program can meet your needs, contact Capt. P. Surber at (703) 993-2816 or at email@example.com.
The mission of the George Mason University Police Cadet Program shall be to provide the highest level of safety, security, and services to all members of the George Mason University community, their visitors and guests. To accomplish these objectives, the professional responsibility of the members of the George Mason University Police Cadet Program will include, but is not limited to the following functions:
- The protection of life and safeguarding of property.
- The prevention and control of crime through vigorous patrol.
- The immediate response to all emergencies on George Mason University property, owned or occupied, and to all persons therein who are in need of aid or assistance.
- The performance of such other services as required by George Mason University.
- The advancement of a cooperative relationship with all members of the entire George Mason University community, their visitors and guests, by vigilant services and proactive patrol.
- The creation of a sense of safety and security for the entire George Mason University community, their visitors and guests, by vigilant services and proactive patrol.
Duties and Responsibilities
All members of the George Mason University Police Cadet Program will be responsible for performing a wide range of duties consisting of, but not limited to:
- Patrol all George Mason University property, owned or occupied by foot and vehicle.
- Practice crime prevention.
- Preform traffic control.
- Perform campus area safety escorts.
- Lock and unlock doors.
- Report hazardous conditions.
- Prepare reports (when necessary).
- Assist University Police in staffing events
- Provide enhanced security at student dining facilities.
- Utilize proper radio communication procedures.
- Familiarization with George Mason University alcohol, drug and sexual assault policies.
- University closing watch.
- Obtain and maintain CPR/AED certification.
- Must be an active George Mason University student.
- Be in good academic standing with the university: 2.0 GPA or “C” average.
- No past arrests or convictions.
- United States citizen or valid green card holder.
- Able to pass a criminal history check.
- Clean driving record.
- Must not have had used any illicit drugs in the past 12 months.
- Flexible scheduling.
- Increased leadership skills
- Vast training; Blood Borne Pathogens, Hazard Communication, and Fire Extinguisher among others.
- Promotional rank structure
- A stepping stone for those interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement.
- Police Cadet Private
- Police Cadet Private First Class
- Police Cadet Corporal
- Police Cadet Sergeant
- Police Cadet Lieutenant