RECENT, ONGOING TIMELY WARNING NOTIFICATIONS:
- September 12, 2019: Sexual Assault / Fondling near Sandy Creek Way
- February 28, 2019: Sexual Assault / Fondling at Rappahannock Parking Deck
What are Timely Warnings? In compliance with the “Timely Warning” provisions of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (The Clery Act), George Mason University issues timely warnings to the entire campus community when there is information that a Clery Act Crime has occurred on or near the University that is considered by the institution to represent a serious or continuing threat to campus safety.
The Chief of Police or designee, in consultation with University senior leadership, makes the decision whether to issue a timely warning on a case-by-case basis in light of all the facts surrounding the incident. Timely warnings are issued as soon as possible after the Department of Police & Public Safety is notified; however, the release of the warning is subject to the availability of accurate facts concerning the incident.
Criteria to be evaluated may include:
• The nature of the crime
• The continuing danger to the campus community
• The possible risk of compromising law enforcement efforts
Timely warnings include information that promote safety and would aid in the prevention of similar crimes, including, but not limited to:
• Brief description of the crime(s) that occurred
• Date and time when the crime(s) occurred
• Location of the crime(s)
• Possible connections between incidents (if applicable)
• Description of suspect(s) and/or any available information to aid in the apprehension of the offender(s) (if applicable)
• Recommended actions
• Precautions for the campus community to protect itself
• Description of crime reporting options at the University
Timely warnings are issued to the University community through one or more electronic communications, including, but not limited to: university e-mail with the assistance of the Director of Strategic Communications or designee, the Department of Police & Public Safety’s website, text messages through Mason Alert, and/or social media outlets.
Every effort is made to prevent identifying victims of crime.
For more information about Timely Warnings, please contact the Clery Compliance Coordinator at (703) 993-5497 or email@example.com.