Police Officer Recruitment Information
Department: GMU Department of Police and Public Safety
Job Category: Classified Staff
Role (State) Job Title: Law Enforcement Officer I
Working Title: University Police Officer
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Fairfax, VA
The George Mason University Department of Police and Public Safety invites applications for the position of University Police Officer.
The Department of Police and Public Safety is a nationally accredited, full service law enforcement agency with a force of over 50 sworn officers that patrol the Arlington, Prince William and Fairfax campuses.
This online application is equivalent to the Commonwealth of Virginia State Employment application and is required.
Duties, responsibilities, and requisite skills include providing vehicle, bicycle or foot patrol of the campus; responding to suspicious activities; resolving complaints; investigating criminal and traffic incidents; and providing first responder aid when required. Other skills required are interviewing and taking statements; making arrests; filling case reports; testifying in court; and assisting other law enforcement agencies.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent (an advanced degree is desired);
- Possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license;
- Have U.S. citizenship as set out by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS);
- Have reached 21 years of age by completion of academy training (est. December 2015);
- Have no DUI convictions within the past two years;
- Have no illegal drug use within the past two years;
- Have no felony convictions or convictions of misdemeanors involving crimes of moral turpitude or gross misconduct;
- No convictions or restraining orders for domestic violence, or other disability to carrying firearms;
- Ability to perform law enforcement and security functions within the University Police Department;
- Successfully complete a physical agility assessment;
- Successfully complete a physical, polygraph and psychological examination;
- Successfully pass an in-depth background investigation;
- Successfully complete a course of instruction at a police academy approved by the Virginia DCJS (unless currently certified as a Police Officer through DCJS in the commonwealth of Virginia); and
- Successfully complete a mandated Field Training Program administered by the department.
- Currently certified as a law enforcement officer in the commonwealth of Virginia
- Previous law enforcement, military or security experience
- Previous experience at GMU or another college/university
As a new employee, you will be required to serve a probationary period of employment.
For new recruits, the probationary period beings upon completion of a 20 week course of instruction at the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy.
For applicants that have been certified by another Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, the probationary period beings with the date of your employment.